From:
Nolene Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2006 17:43:26 -0800

I second that! I have actually done that for the training sessions I
have done.

Due to popular demand by our members, we post the PowerPoint
presentations (when made available) from our monthly meetings on our
chapter website, but if people follow the rules for creating good
PowerPoints, there will be little detail on the slides, only highlights
and bullet-points -- and we all do hate speakers who read off the slides
or cram too much info into one slide, so we don't want to discourage
this practice. But because of that, the PowerPoints by themselves
without accompanying text are pretty meaningless. Using the notes
section and printing Notes Pages format (rather than Handouts format)
would be more like printing a Proceedings Paper. While listening to the
speaker, you could then actually LISTEN to the speaker rather than
scribbling indecipherable notes on the too-small lines of the handouts.

BTW, I recall years ago that the conference actually did have Proceeding
Papers rather than just PowerPoint handouts. What ever happened to that?
I know that it more work for the speaker, but it was so much more
valuable.

Nolene Sherman | Director of Records Management | Standard Pacific Homes

The only downside is that the presentations because of powerpoints
limitations are lacking in detail. what I would like to see is the notes
area of PowerPoint used more fully. That is have the speaker put detail
into the notes section and then print the notes view to pdf so that I
don't have to guess what was meant by skills, habits and attitudes on
slide. The note portion can be used to provide citations to articles,
webpages etc