From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2006 08:54:36 -0700
Hi Tom,

First, I disagree about your presenting at ARMA. I don't know you well
enough to know your areas of expertise, but presenting at ARMA isn't that
much different from presenting anywhere else, including the local ARMA
chapter. I have every confidence you have a lot to offer ARMA attendees -
you just need to determine what that is. :)

Now, to the point I think you, Ginny, and several others have made.

Here's an example of how Powerpoint can be misused: The Gettysburg Address
(as delivered by Powerpoint). http://norvig.com/Gettysburg/. I don't have an
example at hand, but I have sat through and heard others' comments about a
presentation that was 89 slides in 45 minutes. And these were not "four
bullets, four words per bullet" slides, but were chock-full-o' text and
tables. I also sat through an ARMA presentation a couple of years ago that
was a Proceedings-type paper converted to Powerpoint. It wasn't the worst
ARMA presentation I've ever sat through, but it's nestled snugly into the
bottom five.

It's difficult to make everyone happy - which is why I think the wiki might
help. As I noted in the link I sent out earlier in the week, on a wiki page
I could put the PPT, a printable version, a PDF version, an audio-recorded
version, supporting materials, checklists and templates, a Proceedings-type
paper, links to articles I and others have written on the topic, etc. etc.
etc. The bad news? It means much more work for someone. The good news? The
"someone" in question doesn't have to be the speaker. Give me a wiki, and
let me set a password. If I want someone to help edit, I either give the
password out or I remove the password altogether. And I'll offer right now -
anyone who is interested in doing this, I'd be happy to help to the extent I
can, even if it's only finding and validating links, blogs, etc.

More grist for the mill from chilly Colorado,

Jesse Wilkins
CDIA+, LIT, ICP, edp, ermm, ecms
IMERGE Consulting
(303) 574-1455 office
(303) 484-4142 fax
YIM: jessewilkins8511
SL: Jesse8511 Market
Looking for the latest education on electronic records, email, and imaging?
Visit http://www.imergeconsult.com/schedule2.html for a current schedule of
courses.