From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:25:46 -0500
<does anyone have a suggestion on how I can explain to the records
contact in that area how to determine whether or not something someone
is retaining electronically should be listed on the retention schedule?>

Part of her confusion may be that she thinks in terms of documents (with
pages) as records and perhaps her electronic records consist primarily
of databases.  It took a while for me to get the concept of electronic
"record" across to our folks here.  Once I started speaking in terms of
database "objects" and tables, the light bulbs lit up.  For example -
our customer database has an object called "customer" (or business
partner) which consists of data from a variety of tables.  This object
is a record when all its component data is pulled together on a screen
(name, address, phone, payment history, bank account, customer type,
etc.).  Our retention is applied to the object as a whole based on an
event (final bill paid and customer terminated), not to the individual
tables that the data comes from.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager