From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2006 12:43:58 -0800
On 11/30/06, Jeanne Callen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> This put
> them into a freenzy...does anyone have a suggestion on how I can explain
> to the records contact in that area how to determine whether or not
> something someone is retaining electronically should be listed on the
> retention schedule?  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi Jeanne-

From your website:

Let J. J. Keller handle your time-consuming regulatory compliance tasks ...
so you can focus on your core business.

From 36CFR, Part 1220.14

*Records* include all books, papers, maps, photographs, machine readable
materials, or other documentary materials, regardless of physical form or
characteristics, made or received by an agency of the United States
Government under Federal law or in connection with the transaction of public
business and preserved or appropriate for preservation by that agency or its
legitimate successor as evidence of the organization, functions, policies,
decisions, procedures, operations or other activities of the Government or
because of the informational value of the data in them (44 U.S.C.
3301<http://www.washingtonwatchdog.org/documents/usc/ttl44/ch33/sec3301.html>
).

From 36CFR, Part 1234.2

*Electronic record* means any information that is recorded in a form that
only a computer can process and that satisfies the definition of a Federal
record in 44 U.S.C.
3301<http://www.washingtonwatchdog.org/documents/usc/ttl44/ch33/sec3301.html>
.

From the DOT RM Web Site, Chapter 9, Section 9.105, Item III.D
http://cio.ost.dot.gov/DOT/OST/Documents/files/chapter9.htm

D. For DOT contracts, provisions requiring the contractor to provide any
program or administrative documentation needed by DOT for effective
management and for documenting the work performed by the contractor.

If you do work under Federal Regulations, and I'd say at MINIMUM JJKeller is
regulated by DOT, then, these rules apply to your organization.

Hope this helps some =)

Larry
--
Larry Medina