From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2006 16:54:15 -0800
Gerard, might I suggest that seeking answers from members of the list
that don't want to provide them is probably not the most productive use
of this service.

When we look at the type of service you mention, we are primarily
concerned with service availability, environmental controls, security,
compliance with IT technical requirements, turnaround time, indemnity
against lose, MBE/SBE/FBE status, transport methods, references,
financial viability, communications protocols - just to name a few items
from the top of my head (did I mention security?). My interface with a
service like this would be to store specialized items such as microfilm
off site - a very small market segment. Regarding the type of backup
tape cycling that Ginny mentioned in her excellent e-mail, in our own
operation we do not consider tape backup and cycling to be part of our
mission. That's more the purview of IT. In fact, our general policy is
to move away as much as we can from considering backup systems to be
record keeping systems. Does that mean they are still subject to
discovery? Yes. The chair that I am sitting on is subject to discovery -
that does not make it a record. Does it mean they have to be managed in
accordance with public records requirements? No - to do so in my opinion
would be an unnecessary burden on a system primarily designed as a
system recovery tool. Our goal is to develop proper record keeping tools
to apply record keeping requirements, and backup systems are not - again
in my opinion - the proper tools. My guess is Ginny may be the exception
rather than the rule (Ginny being rather exceptional in many ways). Many
records managers have little to do with this. This may be why you are
not getting the response you are expecting.

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records Administrator
Multnomah County Fleet, Records, Electronics, Distribution and Stores
(FREDS)
1620 S.E. 190th Avenue
Portland, OR 97233
Phone: (503)988-3741