From:
"Bergeron, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2006 08:48:55 -0500
Earl:

Is this a records center furnishings and staff move or a more-general
office move which includes the records center staff involvement?  I ask
that because the personnel under the first scenario would certainly be
more knowledgeable about a records move than the second group.

I coordinated a move of general staff from two city buildings into
smaller, temporary quarters & off-site storage, then back again to the
original site after renovations were complete.  We literally determined
how much square footage would be available for each employee and for
office furnishings so we could say, for example, you will have one desk
and two file cabinets going forward, not one desk, three file cabinets,
and a bookcase.  Sounds simplistic, but it is amazing how many people
just do not understand that you can't fit 10 pounds of onions in a 1
pound sack.

I tried to get department managers to purge their files of records, that
could be destroyed, PRIOR to any move with the instructions that active
records would go to temporary office quarters and inactive records would
go to off-site storage.  No sense in spending money to move records that
don't need to be moved. Still, some departments waited and waited and
procrastinated until moving day -- though they would say they were "all
set" every time I checked in with them.  Result:  ALL the office records
were moved to smaller, temporary space.  Department managers started
panicking when they found out they didn't have space and began throwing
records away -- claiming they were adhering to retention schedules.
Then many of the records were moved from temporary office space over to
off-site storage.  As such, we were paying the moving company twice to
cart the same records: once to temporary office space and then again
from the temporary office quarters to off-site storage.  That was a
waste of money.

File cabinets were locked without anyone thinking to ask where the keys
were.

When file cabinets are moved unlocked, movers ask that staff empty out
the top three (of four) drawers.  File cabinets were sent into storage
for auction with records still in the bottom file drawer.  Employees
would check the top two drawers and, finding them empty, would order the
cabinet removed.  Movers would oblige; it wasn't there job to see if the
file cabinets were empty.

A lot of what we did, we did "right."  But department workloads were
such that the moving date seemed "far away" and some managers -- not
all, by any means -- didn't plan far enough ahead.

We also set up a moving schedule at least a month ahead of time.  We did
not move both buildings on the same day.  We needed to coordinate IT
staff, the movers, and my own time to make sure each piece of the move
went as smoothly as possible and to ensure that there wasn't a lot of
down time among personnel.  Elevators can only go so fast.  No sense in
having 100 employees in place waiting for furnishings and records when
the moving company can only bring stuff up one elevator-full at a time.

Good luck!

Paul R. Bergeron, CA
City Clerk
229 Main Street