From:
Patti Kraatz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2006 10:39:44 -0500
Lesson's learned re: office moves. The more you prepare the easier the
transition. If you have time
- develop move procedures
- get a dedicated team - no distractions of doing their own jobs as well
- organize and train them
- let mgmt know your plan and update periodically on it's progress

Paul's absolutely right - purge files ahead. Some things we did right....
- inventory equipment and purge what you don't need
- measure what's left and compare with new floor plans
- consider more space-saving equipment, central filing
- anything needed purchase and have on the new site when staff arrive

Mistakes:
- still happens - staff don't consider temp. office storage space for
records purged but not ready for storage
- HUGE mistake - panicky people were allowed to send boxes to storage under
"Program Files" on the agreement they'd recall and index when settled - uh
huh. We recently deaccessioned some program files for archival review and
found we'd paid 10 yrs of storage for 6 boxes of empty binders! NEVER allow
anyone to send anything anywhere unless it's done properly. If they insist
they haven't time - charge back all associated fees!

Moving is the perfect opportunity to sell your RM program by making this as
smooth for them as possible. Think of how you'd appreciate someone who
organized you so well all you had to do was unpack and you were ready to
rock and roll....
 good luck Earl

Patti Kraatz
Coordinator, Information Mgmt & Archives
Council & Administrative Services