From:
Deidre Paknad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2006 11:20:32 -0500
The ethics issues on inadvertent production are more complex and somewhat different than the FRCP form of production and clawback provisions.  Among other things, note that some state bar associations have different ethics rules with respect to the inadvertent production of metadata -- these rules differ state to state and they may differ substantially from the ABA on the topic.  It's a pretty nuanced subject, all in all.  Litigators in general aren't excited about using the clawback provision, and its likely application is only when something goes wrong.  You can return the docs, but you can't clear the mind.

On modifying the form to prevent access of metadata or reference data, there have been several cases where a party modified the form so that the Excel formulas in the cells, for example, weren't visible when the docs were produced (in PDF for example).   A PDF report from a structured business application wouldn't include the date/time stamps of when the data was posted in the database either ... you can see how that thread can unwind.

I think one of the stickiest issues for the coming year or two will be the issue of relevance and metadata -- the test for producing information is its likely "relevance" to the issue at hand.  Most judges will say that file date/time stamp is rarely relevant ... so must metadata be preserved, collected, and produced, even if it's not relevant?  Stay tuned for much more case law on this!

Deidre
PSS Systems
Atlas Legal Holds & Retention Management Software
www.pss-systems.com
www.cgocouncil.com