From:
"A.S.E. Fairfax" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2006 15:24:30 -0800
From: Andrea Kross [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2006 11:41 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [RM] Managing Resource Material

Hello,

I have just started working in records management at a local government, and
I'm new to both.  I'm wondering how other records managers handle resource
materials that aren't created by the organization.  We have some material
that was gathered as background information for projects, for purchasing
equipment, etc., such as printouts from webpages, brochures, and books, as
well as other resource materials such as magazines and newsletters.  This
information has often been filed in the corporate record folders, where it
inflates the files and is subject to the retention schedule for each file.
In many cases, department managers prefer to have the material close at hand
for long periods of time, so applying the retention schedule is problematic,
and in some cases, inappropriate.  We have several departments, and each is
responsible for their own files.

What is the best way to handle this information - include it in corporate
files, put it in separate resource folders with their own retention schedule
but interfile them with corporate records (to keep like subjects together),
create a separate collection/library, or some other?  If you create a
separate collection, what tools do you use to organize the materials, some
of which would be in file folders?  Do you use the same subject
classification system that is used to organize the corporate records (ours
is based on the Records Management Manual produced by the Local Government
Management Association of British Columbia), or do you use some other
classification system (if so, what system?).  How do you manage retention?
What are your criteria for identifying information as resource material?

Thank you!
Andrea

Andrea Kross, MLIS
Records Technician