From:
Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2006 12:48:37 -0800
The USA Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC), like the Internal
Revenue Service (IRS), the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), and many
other regulatory agencies will try to push you around; to bully those
they regulate.  Do not let them.  When I worked in the corporate world I
never had any problems with the SEC, but I heard of others who did.

Challenge the regulations during the comments period if overly
burdensome, or if the language is not clear.  Or after adoption of the
regs or changes if necessary.

I hate ... regulations.   (Bet some reading this thought I was going to
say paper.)

<snip>
Another interesting point was that the SEC wanted us to retain ALL
e-mails
for five years.  We tried to explain how those other "personal" and
non-record messages would be retained, but.We did make it a point to
prohibit as a matter of RM and Information Security policy, in almost
all
cases, the use of IM for business communication.
<snip>

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno