From:
Sharon Burnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2006 09:27:00 -0800
Patrick writes:
"And maybe another approach is to work your way up the chain of command
in your own organization first before tossing a grenade at the CEO."

While I am all for committing one career limiting move per week, I think
grenade tossing at the CEO is probably not highly advisable.

I would though leverage the recent changes to the Federal electronic
discovery rules as a way to meet with both your legal and your information
technology peers. The rule changes have given my program the momentum and
the funding that it has lacked up until this time. Suddenly I am buying an
email archiving product, engaging a consultant, and have been given the
additional resources to actually create and implement the program I had been
prepared to design when I came here 4 1/2 years ago.  (Records folks are
nothing if not tenacious).

However, I may have an advantage - I am a member of our legal team. I report
directly to the in-house litigation & compliance counsel. I am involved in
all our litigations and direct all document discoveries, working directly
with outside counsel. I see my IT peers every day. I work for a company that
does not have barriers or silos. Sounds a bit like a fairy tale.

I keep thinking about the thread from a few days back with the new person
asking what the records manager did for the company. You know, sometimes I
think the answer is keep your a** out of the fire. Personally I have a ton
of fun with my job. RM is nothing if it is not an adventure!

Rock on!
Sharon Burnett
Seattle WA