From:
"Gervais, JohnA" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2006 13:40:57 -0500
I would be interested in hearing what you think is the difference(s) between Information Management (IM) and Records Management.  It appears that many use them both to speak about the same thing.

Although I think Information management is inclusive of records management, I think IM is broader in scope.

Information Management, in the global sense, encapsulates at some level, other functions such as data management, document management, access to information, security of information, content management and records management, to name a few.

Records provide evidence of the organization, functions, policies, decisions, procedures, operations or other activities of an organization and are important because of the informational value of the data contained within them.

Records Management is focused on maintaining a repository of evidence that can be used to document events related to statutory, regulatory, fiscal, operational, or archival activities within an organization, for a specified period of time.

Records Management can be defined as the discipline and organisational function of managing records to meet operational business needs and accountability requirements and the systematic control of the creation, maintenance, use, reproduction, and disposition of records.

Information is defined as a corporate asset or resource, which is defined as data, facts or knowledge that is recorded, regardless of form, recording media or technology used.

Information Management is defined as the life cycle management of information assets, including protection, disposal and preservation.

I would be delighted, if you have a moment or two, to hear what you think?  Thank you.

John Gervais