From:
Nancy Freeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:14:13 -0500
All,

This question is specifically for federal records managers or those
familiar with the GRS.  I need some assistance from the knowledgeable
folks on the list!

I am looking for a GRS retention for government volunteer files.  We have
several field stations that use volunteers and I'd like to know a
retention period.  I do know that volunteer paperwork (it's the government
so of course they fill out paperwork) is processed at our servicing office
but is not entered into the NFC database.  Some of these employees also
end up with medical monitoring files.  I can't find anything under medical
monitoring for this.  I've advised that the volunteer be given their
medical records once they finish their work.

So, I've looked in the APHIS records management manual, that governs my
agency which is Wildlife Services, and come up with nothing.  I've tried
our servicing office personnel and again, nothing.  I then went to the GRS
fully expecting to get an answer and didn't find anything.  I can't help
but think I'm missing something.  Surely we're not the only government
agency with volunteers.  I also checked the OPM Guide to Personnel
Recordkeeping.

Many thanks,
Nancy Freeman, Records Manager/Archivist
National Wildlife Research Center
4101 LaPorte Ave.
Fort Collins,  CO  80521
(970) 266-6023