From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:37:47 -0800
Nora, the method of disassembling the bound volume for image capture is
not unusual, although the method of re-assembly is somewhat odd.
Assuming this all goes as plan, I don't think your first point is an
issue. Rather, I would ask why the books are being bound in the first
place.

Regarding (2), I would agree that these re-assembled books do not belong
in active file space, but should be moved to inactive space (assuming
their retention is permanent and they are considered the "record copy").
If they are not permanent, you might ask why they are being kept at all
once they are transferred to an image file (particularly if the
retention is less than 10 years).

Regarding (3), there is nothing in your description that would
necessarily lead one to this conclusion. Security is fairly easy to set
up for your network administrator.

You might also ask what relation these records have to county recorded
records, and what purpose they are serving in the real estate office.
Ultimately, the official record of the transaction is with the county
Recorder or Clerk. Its possible you could reduce retention/volume by
better defining your organization's needs.

Hope this helps!

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records Administrator
Multnomah County Fleet, Records, Electronics, Distribution and Stores
(FREDS)
1620 S.E. 190th Avenue
Portland, OR 97233
Phone: (503)988-3741