From:
Steve Petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2006 20:14:01 -0600
I replied to John offline but feel some of the information I related to
johnare pertenentto what Larry's response was.  I consider myself in the
Records & Information Management  (RIM)  field especially  when speaking
in the in the world of electronic RM and ECM.
This is virtuallly a part of everything we do today  or should be part of
doing.  As I told John the following definitions should be a part of any
discussion held- especially at the higher mgmt levels or IT, in my
opinion.

?       Data ? A combination of characters or bytes referring to one
separate item of information such as names, addresses, etc. Such
information may be in numerical or word form and can be digitally
transmitted or processed as well as manually prepared and processed.

?       Information ? Data placed in a meaningful context for users. A
subset of data, normally dynamic, that can be manipulated.

?       Record ?Any and all recorded data/information that is created,
received, or maintained  in the regular course of Company business and
that relate in any way to the Company?s organization, functions,
operations, or activities or pursuant to a legal obligation. Records are a
subset of data that is static and unchanging.

Happy New Year

Steve Petersen CRM
Records Manager
Rockwell Collins Inc