From:
Blake Richardson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2007 13:22:17 -0700
Happy New Year Listserv.  I was made aware today that my employer has
recently disposed of three fax machines.  After the disposal occurred,
the question was asked whether information could be accessed from the
old machines, e.g. do fax machines cache any information on a
short/long-term basis that could be accessed after disposal.  I know
there are variables to this questions and some "depends on" such as the
manner in which it is destroyed.

On a related note, I read an article a couple of years back that
addressed concerns regarding multifunctional devices, namely the imaging
function.  The focus of the article was the following scenario:  The
Payroll Manager images several documents on a multifunctional device,
Bob (name changed to protect the innocent) is curious and wanders over
to the device a few minutes after the manager departs.  Bob is able to
access the documents and route them to his PC.

I am a novice with multifunctional devices.  Do most device
manufacturers provide security functionality such as PIN's to help
prevent this?

Thanks

Blake E. Richardson, CRM

"MMS <safeway.com>" made the following annotations.
Warning:
All e-mail sent to this address will be received by the Safeway corporate e-mail system, and is subject to archival and review by someone other than the recipient.  This e-mail may contain information proprietary to Safeway and is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s).  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that you have received this message in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately.