From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2007 19:04:19 -0700
I held off as long as I could on this. In the years I've been on the list
I've only seen two people who had the temerity to criticize how RAIN is put
together and the chutzpah to insist that there was something insidious
involved in the selection process - our librarian and Don Saklad. That's
some august company.

Marion, as Peter and others have kindly suggested, and as others have no
doubt not-so-kindly thought, if you don't like or trust or respect the RAIN
postings or consider them to have some sort of an agenda, just because YOU
don't get to see the inner workings for free, make your own.

Peter did educate members of the list about his approach and process earlier
in this thread. He also offered to share the methodology with you for a fee,
which, like Don Saklad, you declined.

I'm especially intrigued by this statement:
<snip>
i'm curious about the parameters because it's clear the selection process is
always, unavoidably, skewed.

why not be up front about it and let readers decide for themselves if they
agree with those parameters?

then, if peter ever cares to disclose the selection process, we can discuss
what and to whom we shall serve it forth.
</snip>

You don't have the right to serve anything to anyone. To the extent that
it's Peter's intellectual work to produce RAIN, it's his to serve or not
serve as he chooses. You wanna forward it, hey, it's an open listserv, you
can find all the posts on the Internet, yadda yadda. But it's the height of
hubris for you to posit on to whom *you* shall serve it forth.

I generally give folks the benefit of the doubt - have to in the line of
work I'm in - but between the radical comments you've made in the past (see
thread around Veterans Day, the chocolate discussion, the "radical reference
librarian") and the insipid arrogance you're continuing to display in this
thread, I have no choice but to consign you to your own personal rule in my
Outlook client, joining only Don Saklad in the instant bitbucket.

For the rest of the list, I truly apologize for this rant but I'm sick of
hearing about the positive obligation Peter, and by extension any of us, has
to disclose 100% of whatever we do, on the whim of whomever so desires,
immediately and expeditiously. My two week old daughter has better manners
than this.

Respectfully submitted,

Jesse Wilkins