From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2006 11:33:39 -0800
On 12/28/06, Barry Cahill <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> IM is indeed much broader in scope but is not inclusive of RM. They are
> essentially different. RM is about doing business (executing the
> business process), IM about everything else, everything
> non-record-related.
> Barry Cahill

I'm guessing this is only intended as an OPINION (?)

I can assure you few on this list will agree with it.

Information IS a much broader scope, but RECORDS are included within that.
Much of what is 'information" includes records and for that reason, MANY of
us are actually known as RIMs (Records and Information Managers).

In the past (maybe 5-7 years ago) "information management" was though to be
sort of limited to electronic forms of information and little attention was
paid to the fact that withion that information was a lot of records that
required protection and management in a substantially different manner than
the day-to-day information contained on the tapes, servers, etc.

In some organizations some records managers took the initiative to take
control of, or provide guidance regarding the control of, this electronic
information, including identifying what percentage of it rose to the
definition of a record... and it began being managed as records.  At that
point the new positions of RIM began emerging.

So if there is an "umbrella term", it would include "information" in the
title of the individuals performing the work, and the practices they are
involved in.

IM DEFINITELY involves records... RM is about MUCH MORE than business
processes.

Ask any number of people at Morgan Stanley, Arthur Andersen, TYCO, Microsoft
(and the list goes on) who failed to manage their information as records...
and with the new FRCP that went into effect in the US on 12/1/06, ask
essentially ANY business if they feel a need to manage their information as
records now.

I think you'll see a much greater nexus between information and records
management take place in the coming year in organizations that don't have it
now.

Larry

--
Larry Medina