From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2007 11:38:30 -0800
Good question, Bill. We have run into some from other collections (our
Sheriff's Office), which we had silver duplicated and polysulfide
treated, due to deterioration.  Haven't encountered any in this
collection. We also ran into some film which we believe may be
vesicular, although this film had our local experts flummoxed. Note that
the county had an aggressive microfilming program from the late 1940's
until the late 1980's. In fact, in another cost savings story, I saved
the county about $120,000 in my first year here by re-bidding our
service contracts on the basis of more professional specifications, and
eliminating a good portion of the filming projects being done. One of
the principle justifications for our Records Center is that it offered a
cheaper alternative than microfilm virtually everything. It was
astonishing to me how many people had been getting rolls of microfilm,
and either would just toss them, or stick them in a drawer with no way
of reading them, because that was the way it was "always done". A
portion of these people thought it was some strange for of videotape.
Seriously!

One thing notable about our legacy microfilm: Some of it was very poorly
produced, resulting in redox contamination and other problems. For
example, we have had to spend about a decade gradually replacing legacy
film that was heavily spliced with Scotch tape.

I don't consider that a negative on microfilm as a viable long term
preservation media. It is, however, a reminder of the long term
consequences of poor choices we make today on any media or technology.
That is the true "budgetary time bomb".

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records Administrator
Multnomah County Fleet, Records, Electronics, Distribution and Stores
(FREDS)
1620 S.E. 190th Avenue
Portland, OR 97233
Phone: (503)988-3741