From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2007 02:57:27 -0500
> From:    Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Call for speakers - past, present, and future!
>
> Hi all, and with apologies for cross-posting and the length of this
> post,
>
> Several weeks agoon the RECMGMT-L list we were discussing the
> recent and
> future ARMA conferences: no more paper manuals, presentations to be
> distributed electronically, the issues associated with the flash
> drives or
> lack thereof, and so forth. I proposed that ARMA move in the
> direction of
> creating a "conference wiki" with the intent of getting all the
> speakers to
> put their stuff out on a wiki.

>> Several weeks agoon

Phew, I thought you were talking about me?

If hackers spend enormous time to write SPAM and hack into my
computer just for the fun of it, (although now they found out they
can have fun and make money from it) won't people go in and alter
presentations just to be jerks.

Unless someone polices it, what is the value of something that may be
tampered with.

I am  not being critical I am just new to wiki (unless you are
talking about those grass skirts they wear in Hawaii, Oh wait I don't
know anything about those either.)

I like the idea of having something we could all build on, as the
Listserv is good at that, and is similar to working on a Task Force
but is there a way to know that what is there, is what was originally
there?  White Papers, Web Casts, Pod Casts and now Wiki's.  Shoot I
can barely make the Conference Call feature work on my phone.

Plus who decides what the right answer is?  We all have 20 ideas on
how many sheets of paper fit in a 1.2 cubic foot box and no one
believed me when I told them the number of square feet in a 1000
cubic feet archive is 10?   So how do you make something this wide
open work?

But I have a great first topic.  What does a records manager need to
be capable of, technology wise, to manage the media, and digital
records that are spun off from the data center?  ARMA had a number of
great presentations but what do we need to know today?

Hugh Smith

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134