From:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 08:24:19 -0800
--- Robert Soutar <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> It is interesting to see the number of members on this list serve who
> do
> not use their work e-mail accounts for fear of retribution.

I think retribution is one aspect of why folks choose not to use work
email systems to post here. Personally, I consider the List a part of
my professional life and 95% of the traffic on the List has no value to
my employer, thus I should not be consuming email server disk space
with List posts. In addition, when I post here, I'm not speaking for my
employer, nor am I speaking for ARMA (in my role as ARMA's Treasurer).
I'm Patrick Cunningham, CRM, a professional records manager.

The other reason is that I suspect that many of us are simply
practicing good email management. List postings are not records of my
organization, therefore there is no business reason to have the
messages originate or be retained in my organization's email system.

I can also speak to the "retribution" angle. I have very painful
experience from many years ago on the List when I made some critical
comments about a vendor here. Those comments were made with me posting
my entire title and place of business, although I think I used my
personal email account. Well, the vendor was unhappy with my comments
and sent a letter to the CEO of the firm that I worked for, which
filtered down to me. It was a very uncomfortable meeting. Since then, I
have chose to post my name and not my employer's name unless it had
relevance to the post.

Patrick Cunningham, CRM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."