From:
Bruce White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 09:24:47 -0600
On 2/1/07, Hurst, Ruth <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>A question for any California Utilities, or anyone who has worked with Ca
utility records. We have operations in the state of California and >while
researching the legal records requirements, came across the CA PUC General
Order 28, written in 1912, and confirmed later in the >1960's I believe.
When reading through this order it sounds as though every utility operating
in California has to keep almost all records
>(down to receipts for paper purchases) relating to their operations
permanently. I would be interested to hear how others have interpreted >this
order and are complying with it.

Ruth,

I recently left a large energy/utility company in San Diego.  We came across
GO 28 during our research as well.  We interpreted the retention
requirements much as you do; most records (in particular financial and
operational related) must be retained permanently.  We were still working
out the compliance issues when I departed.  Suffice to say, very difficult
to manage in today's electronic records environment; either print out
everything and send to storage (and earn the wrath of Whitaker) or
microfilm.
I heard some rumors that the CA Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) might
revisit the requirements but not sure whether anything came of it.   With
California's current political environment, I doubt you'll see changes to GO
28 anytime soon.

If you have any other questions, please contact me off-line.

--
Bruce L. White, CRM, PMP
Houston, TX