From:
Rich Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2007 08:09:50 -0600
Greetings from Wonderful Wyoming,

There is one other place to research. In Wyoming, minutes and tape recordings are controlled by the legally approved retention schedules. This particular schedule instructs tapes be retained 2 years, then erase tapes that have no further value, and if meeting minutes are maintained.  I would recommend checking the applicable law(s) and the appropriate retention schedules.

The real issue may be who owns the tapes, the municipality or the contractor? That again depends on state law. In Wyoming, it is the political entity. Check the statutes for your state, but I would bet it is the governmental body.

Regards,

Rich Wilson, MCP
Records Management Supervisor
Government Records
2301 Central Ave
Cheyenne, WY 82002-0001
Phone: 307-777-5586  Fax: 307-777-7044

E-Mail to and from me, in connection with the transaction of public business, is subject to the Wyoming Public Records Act and may be disclosed to third parties.

>>> On 4/4/2007 at 7:24 AM, in message <[log in to unmask]>, "Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
There is another aspect to this in addition to Bill's suggestion of
trade practices (which I agree with).  Many states and local governments
are required by statute or regulation to transcribe the minutes of
meetings within a certain timeframe and to have the "official"
transcribed minutes signed by the Chair/Mayor/Manager/whatever.  Many
states also allow the destruction of the original tapes after the
"official" minutes are signed and filed.  So, in those cases (and I do
not know MA law in this regard) the normal business practice is not to
keep the tapes.  If the transcription service is extended to other
entities, then the normal business practice would prevail.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager
Information Technology Division