From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 16:38:48 -0600
First let me say you should ask Hugh.

To me firre "resistant" file cabinets  are a compliance issue. The only
reason I would recommend anyone get one is to come into compliance witha
regulation.

make sure the flor can handle the load. the cabinets are heavy. The only
reason I scanne dstudent loan records first at the U of I was that the
cabinets were one floor up and over my head. the space between them was
widening at a rate.

The cabinets are rated for a cerainamount of time at a certain temp. Keep in
mind that helps the insurance man sleep well you should stay up nights
worrying.

when a fire happens the cabinets will get hit with water. Hopefully this is
you only worry. Large problems occurr after that. the building will likely
fall on or out from the cabinets. They are not made for it. If the contents
do remain secure and intact you will have trouble retrieving them.

Best bet is to make sure the vital records are backed up and that force
majure is written into your policy. IMHO the cabinets were an acceptable
solution when that was what was available and cost effective. We have other
alternatives available to us these day. your time might be better spent
looking the alternatives, but that is your call not mine.

Good luck and ask Hugh,

Chris Flynn