From:
Nolene Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2007 14:25:27 -0700
The IT department is in the process of implementing new SharePoint sites
for collaboration. My question is this: When a litigation hold is
issued, the traditional thinking is that all destruction of documents,
including working copies and drafts, must be stopped. With the type of
litigation we get, all items under a particular project are typically
held for litigation. Our portals are set up with a structure for each
project. I'm thinking that it would be a relatively simple matter to
just place a hold on everything within the project portal.

How does this work on collaboration sites? The normal situation (at
least in our world), is that revisions to posted documents replace the
prior version. Only the final version is considered a record (we are
working on setting up the Record Center to accept those documents
declared as a record.) Under a litigation hold, would we have to have a
versioning process in place to keep each iteration of a document while
it is still in the portal? Since we are not normally concerned with
prior versions, could it be one that can be turned off when no
litigation is pending, but on when there is? Some of our litigation goes
on for years so we have the potential of hundreds of documents kept that
under normal circumstances would be considered transitory.

Nolene

Nolene Sherman | Director of Records Management | Standard Pacific Homes
| 949-727-9360 | FAX 949-789-3379 | [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>