From:
Wayne Finlaison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2007 22:04:31 -0700
Ok.  I have no problem with the use of modern technology, I personally have a few email accounts, use IM, chat, manage my own website and have used many other methods of communicating and sharing information out there in technology land (and I'm an old codger of 50).  I think the new technology is a wonderful advance and I do recognise its value to business and the way we work, it's my obligation as a records management professional to do so.  The manager that banned the use of the Internet obviously didn't.  New collaboration technology is also changing the way we work but I wouldn't advocate its use on a publicly available website for corporate business.

I have no problem with the use of technology to publically communicate and to share and publish information that is allowed to be in the public domain, e.g. information published on a departmental website, which also has rules regarding disposal and what can and cannot be published. I do have issues with having to accept the advocation of communication anarchy just because all the young people do it because that's what they had growing up and used at home, so it doesn't matter and to heck with the rules.  That's like saying we don't need rules against speeding as the cars today are more technologically advanced, faster and more powerful than my day so because the youth driving them can speed faster and get to those speeds quicker than I could then we'll let them because they understand the cars better than a mechanic or driver of yesteryear does.  Actually, the opposite is happening here with tighter restrictions on young people and how they use their cars, inlcuding
 resticting the number of passengers..

My views on the records management issues come from a government perspective and the rules governing their records.  There are security rules, access rules, ownership and custody rules and by allowing individuals to place corporate or public RECORDS in the public domain without control and obeyance of the rules is ludicrous.  It is also against the law here under all state and federal records legislation as placing a government record on a blog or private website without approval or against policy is transferring the custody of the record out of government control and allowing unauthorised access, use, etc.

People can discuss their work and their organisation as much as they want on their blogs or MySpace sites,etc. as long as it is not defamatory, or whatever. This is no different to me discussing my work and place of work at the pub with some mates.  I am, however, restricted in what I can discuss and say by law when talking to my mates or anyone else for that matter.  I am not and should not be allowed to openly discuss commercial secrets, national security matters or anything that is not allowed to be in the public domain according to law, government or corporate policy, etc. openly and in public regardless of what technology I grew up with or how many others are doing it. I would be surprised if the CEO of GM, Sun, Socialtext, and the other Global 2000 organisations would allow their employees to do so as well.

I have yet to work in an organisation, private or public, that allows the open slather use of IM, chat, posting blogs, etc. without corporate controls and rules, that if abused or disobeyed can and sometimes does result in dismissal.

Wayne