From:
Tod Chernikoff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2007 12:55:57 -0400
Joanne:

Here/below are some definitions (ARMA Glossary, ISO, US Gov.) and links to
some public information and guidance relating to vital records.  I do note
that you are north of the border so the US Gov. stuff could be guidance.

Generally you need to be able to access, either immediately, or not too long
after an event, depending on the series things such as:

Primary concern - Emergency-operating records, including:
-continuity of operations plans and contact information, etc to get things
on the road to recovery

Secondary - Rights and Obligations

-Operational records such as AP/AR that are part of your financial right and
obligations documentation.  Who do you owe what (employee payroll included)
and who owes you what...
-Legal Rights and Obligations.  Could include contracts agreements, etc.
Anything that can be replaced, such as a copy of business license you can
get from the local/provincial government would be very low on my list of
attention in terms of protection.

As Blake noted, those important original documents should get special
attention.

I will now put in the plug for Ginny's book available through the ARMA
Bookstore:

Emergency Management for Records and Information Programs
Author: Virginia A. Jones, CRM, and Kris E. Keyes

Ginny - Your turn.

Tod Chernikoff, CRM

vital record - Records that are fundamental to the functioning of an
organization and necessary to continue operations without
delay under abnormal conditions.

Business continuity planning and contingency measures should ensure that
records that are vital to the continued functioning of the organization are
identified as part of risk analysis, protected and recoverable when needed.

VITAL RECORDS
Records essential to the continued functioning or reconstitution of an
organization during and after an emergency and also those records essential
to protecting the legal and financial rights of that organization and of the
individuals directly affected by its activities. Sometimes called essential
records. Include both emergency-operating and rights-and-interests records.
Vital records considerations are part of an agency's records disaster
prevention and recovery program. See also EMERGENCY-OPERATING RECORDS, LEGAL
AND FINANCIAL RIGHTS RECORDS.
(http://www.epa.gov/records/gloss/gloss08.htm#v)

EPA - A 5-Step Vital Records Plan for Your Office
http://www.epa.gov/records/tools/vital.htm

EPA - Vital Records Order
http://www.epa.gov/records/policy/2160_1/index.htm

NARA - Part 1236 -- Management of Vital Records
http://www.archives.gov/about/regulations/part-1236.html