From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2007 14:39:07 -0600
Hi Brian,

In a former life I was employed with a software company that offered
full-text indexing for their document imaging/archival, now document
management/records management product. We had customers using it in dozens
of processes, including accounts payable/receivable, university admissions,
check processing, contracts management, case management in law firms, you
name it. The benefit is that if you are scanning and creating TIFFs, as many
imaging processes do, those images are not searchable and must have metadata
added to them. There are a number of ways to do this, including barcodes,
OCR, OMR, etc. but if you OCR the entire TIFF, you in essense create a
full-text layer that makes the TIFF searchable. In combination with the
traditional metadata/keyword searching it becomes much easier to find
requested information AND ensure that you got ALL the information related to
the search. And of course many of these solutions store more than just
images in the repository - you could for example store Word documents, Excel
spreadsheets, PDF documents, even CAD drawings and if there is a text layer,
the engine can process and index all of that information as well.

Feel free to contact me offline and I can provide some more specific
information about my experiences with this.

Regards,

Jesse Wilkins