From:
Carrie Fager <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2007 17:11:05 -0500
Susan, Pat, Doug, Jessie, et al,
   Is it possible the future for ARMA's BOD, FPC, etc. to consider
planning decisions about raising dues in a manner that give the members
some time to build the additional costs into our budgets?  As at least
one other person has pointed out, that it changes things for some people
and their budgets.  My organization has 5 members of ARMA.  Since ARMA
does not offer group discounts.  We will likely have to cut back 1
membership to make up the difference because our budget did not take
into account the increase.  Had we known of it last fall, we could have
amended our budget requests and planned for the increase.    We can't
"pay our dues prior to July 1" because of the accounting rules our
organization has to follow related to expenditures (especially
memberships and subscriptions) being paid in the fiscal year they are
incurred.  I realize the association is doing what it needs to do to
adjust to changing costs.  But in the future they need give more
consideration to the amount of lead time before for the increases are
due.  Just a suggestion.

  As for moving this discussion to the members forum, ARMA may also want
to consider just how many ARMA members use the forum versus other venues
to discuss issues related to the association.  If the members aren't
using forum as much as ARMA would like, they either need to reformat it
to make it more user friendly, or convey information in a manner  that
gets the word out (like posting to the listserv)on major items like dues
increases, new programs etc.  While I agree the dues increase is not
likely to recruit new members, maybe new program announcements might.
:)

Carrie Fager, CRM
Records Management
Louisiana State Archives