From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2007 10:16:06 -0400
For our members from the UK or EU or just smart people in general.
What laws cover the same ground in the UK and EU that correspond to
HIPAA, SOX, GLB that mandate levels of control and protection for
electronic records?  Oftentimes when we work overseas they comment
that they are 1) NOT AS TIGHTLY CONTROLLED AS THE U.S.   2) REQUIRED
TO BE MUCH MORE SECURE THAN THE U.S.

We have in addition ESI, Rule 26, Rule 37(f), Rule 45,  IRS Rev. Proc
97-22 & 98-25, Spoliation of Media Requirements, Identity Theft and
Privacy Acts, Industrial Espionage Acts, SEC Rule 17 a-4, plus the
above.( HIPAA, SOX, GLB)

They have 95/46/EC Data Protection and we both have ISO 17799.  And
many countries rely on NFPA Standards like NFPA 232 Protection of
Records.  But do they have specific laws that match up for global
control of records?

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134