From:
Sharon Blackstock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2007 12:36:23 -0600
Happy Friday Everyone-

I'm participating in a compensation study here at work and the question that has my brain on overload is the following: "What minimum level of education do you believe is needed to perform your job at entry level?"

My current position is one that requires a degree (the only position in my department that requires such, including my boss's position) and I agree with that requirement, but I'm having difficulty being honest about WHY it should be required. Here's my question for you - from an employer's perspective what does a degree provide that is essential to performing the work we do? After all, my 1971 bachelor's degree in Home Economics, while interesting, has little connection with RIM (I earned a post-grad degree later in Public Admin and that undoubtedly helped me get jobs and experience that landed me here, but I digress ... )

I've spent quite a bit of time trying to find answers by googling my question in a variety of ways and most hits I get focus on reasons for getting a degree (better job, more money, blah, blah, blah), but nothing about what earning a degree does for your employer or for you as an individual.

Any ideas? I'm not looking for a defense as I'm not feeling defensive, but I am looking for thoughtful responses.  Thanks in advance.

Sharon G. Blackstock, CRM
Central Records Administrator
Lakewood City Clerk's Office
480 S. Allison Pkwy, Lakewood CO 80226-3127
Direct: 303-987-7091  Fax: 303-987-7088
Email: [log in to unmask]
Website: www.lakewood.org
Lakewood's records management objectives: 1) Information is available when needed; 2) Records of permanent value are preserved; 3) Non-permanent records are destroyed per approved retention schedules; 4) Discarded paper is recycled.