From:
"A.S.E. Fairfax" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2007 12:02:35 -0700
Hi Sharon,

I agree that the level of education is a touchy issue to explain.  Also, it
might not be a truly valid requirement for some exceptional individuals,
some people do, after all, have aptitudes that so well suit the job that
they are naturals with or without a degree,and some even without experience.
But how do you know that before it is demonstrated?

Without a high level of aptitude for certain jobs, my feeling is that the
education may provide a wider vision, a sense of the historic, and some of
the subtleties that come with certain jobs, and in some cases provides
"stature" and credibility in certain corporate cultures that may (heavy
emphasis on may) impact how well it is possible to perform the job, but also
may provide weight in discussions with management. In addition, one of the
things I have always believed that education provided, if nothing else, was
a sense of how to go about researching something we knew too little about,
and recognizing that we may know too little about certain issues. Not an
unimportant skill.

I know there is also the opposing argument that some people rely too heavily
on their education and presume that it is a substitute for common sense and
experience.  I am also critical of those in ivory towers with no time in the
trenches, but with both extremes in your bag of tricks, I think it trumps
only trench experience.

If we were to switch the discussion to the field of medicine, society at
large tends to give more credence, and indeed in this example certain
rights, to someone who is licensed and board certified than one who is
practicing without,  We require a certain level of education these days,
although it was not always the case, in order to license them. It can be
argued that someone who has a natural gift for healing or much experience
healing, but for some reason, we want to screen out the possible charlatans,
and the perception that we are relying on them. Professions began as the
province of those craftsmen privy to "secret" practices, methods and
information. Somehow "barber", to describe how doctors and dentists in the
western world got their start, just isn't very inspiring of confidence when
they are barbering the inside of you. Most of the professions are today
encumbered by the education and training that reveals and explores the
knowledge of practices that elevated a barber to that of an early surgeon.

So, do you regard yourself as a professional? Is it a status by virtue of
your education, your learning, or your experience? My guess it that it
requires some combination of all three. If a degreed education seems to be
the stamp of accomplishment on learning, then the two trump the single
virtue of experience. Largely a matter of perception, but perhaps valid,
even to an employer.

Elizabeth Fairfax,

Philosopher-at-large and erstwhile

Records and Information Professional