From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2007 11:38:12 -0400
Joy:
Rule of thumb - if the record/information is needed during the emergency
event to respond to the emergency (for example we have our GIS maps of
our distribution system and the last one year of water quality data
available during a hurricane) or immediately after to continue business
(including compliance with monitoring and reporting) then it is vital.
If the record can be obtained elsewhere (a courthouse, a federal or
state agency where it was sent as a report, etc.) after the event, then
it may be important, but it is not necessarily vital.  If the record can
be recreated after the event, and is not needed immediately or is not
needed for litigation or for an incomplete or not yet conducted audit,
then it definitely is not vital.  You may be interested in purchasing
the vital records standard (ANSI/ARMA 5) from ARMA to assist you
(http://www.arma.org/bookstore/productdetail.cfm?ProductID=1272).

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager