From:
John Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2007 13:37:33 -0400
Doug,

I got my CRM in 1982 (I believe). Think about this - that was when Microsoft
DOS was winning in the marketplace over the CP/M operating system for
"microcomputers". The next year I turned in my CP/M based Osborne Executive
(with a 5.25 inch monitor, a 64K Z80 microprocessor, two 160 K floppy disk
drives, dBase 2, WordStar, and SupeCalc) for a snazzy new IBM PC running DOS
and Lotus 123 off of two floppy disks. Windows 3.0 and a "graphical user
interface" was a future fantasy. I got e-mail on CompuServe, at home with a
Radio Shack Color computer (4K and no drive) and 300 baud modem, and I still
have that e-mail account today! It really is true that we can occasionally
run across 25 year old (probably vaporized) electronic records.

My recollection is that there were basically NO questions on the exam about
technology, except maybe for some questions about "green bar" computer
printouts. And the test was not easy. You really did need to have a feel for
the "environment" to answer the questions and write up Part 6.

At that time, retention schedules and filing plans were still the order of
the day - for paper records of course. And records management policies and
procedures were the only way anything really was adopted or practiced. I
believe there were a lot of questions about microfilm, a "technology" that I
was not that familiar with!

John

John T. Phillips
MSLS, CRM, CDIA, FAI