From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2007 02:02:59 -0400
The only benefit of the containers is that it sets a level of
compartmentation.  I guess I would not have a problem if they were
stored stacked inside a conditioned facility.  To avoid mold, the air
must circulated three times and hour and this approach does not do
that.  When you open the doors, the outside world is allowed in snow,
rain and mildew and pest are a constant problem.

Their security is easily breached though as we ship in them and doors
pop. If the owner looks at this model the only advantage is that you
can start small and grow in simple modules but once you establish
some volume you simply need to abandon this model as it is so lab or
inefficient in a real records center with volume.

But the gentlemen has a point that he is still better than many of
his competitors. Let us hope no records manager from this list would
accept this protocol.

The argument that the vendors costs are the clients' problem is how
Hostage fees took hold.  RM's set your standards and select those who
meet them.

The mergers and acquisitions that buy up entire cities is removing
the low end vendors and the new model is higher security.  If you
store your media with a high end vendor than you are raising the bar
for the industry.  If eveyone on this List would make an effort to
support the high end service and security providers, you could truly
speed the cahn ge that is occurring in the market place.

Even the big guys would say "No point in buying that guy, those
clients will either move away again or pull it in house."  I can cite
an exact model of this in California.  Media accounts are pulling
their tapes o moving their active ones away in the interim.

If you stay with the poor vendor because it is more work for you to
change then you are short-lived in the new market anyway.

The new laws change everything.  The poised and principled RM will
live a long and prosperous life in the new market.

I suggest you start reading the IT magazines as they are finally
getting religion over there.  There is a real opportunity for you.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM

privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the
sender by return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any
unauthorized use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part
is strictly prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to
change. Banc Technic Inc. dba FIRELOCK shall not be liable for the
improper or incomplete transmission of the information contained in
this communication nor for any delay in its receipt or damage to your
system. FIRELOCK does not guarantee that the integrity of this
communication has been maintained nor that this communication is free
of viruses, interceptions or interference.