From:
"Grevin, Fred" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2007 08:55:25 -0400
It seems to me that, in the age of electronic records "... recordkeeping is the responsibility of the trusted records officer [....] -- i.e., an individual or a unit within the creating organization who is responsible for keeping and managing the creator's records and who has no reason to alter the kept records or allow others to alter them" is not a practical distinction.

The widespread use of electronic mail means that EVERYONE is a recordkeeper.

Recent federal legislation in the United States (I'm thinking specifically of the sanctions written into Sarbanes-Oxley) points that way.

This is not to suggest that there is no place for the "trusted records officer", but that the function of recordkeeping is no longer quite as distinct from that of record creator/recipient.

The educational and oversight roles of the records officer may now be more important than ever.

Best regards.

Fred
Frederic J. Grevin
Deputy Commissioner and Chief Information Officer
The City of New York,
Department of Records
Email: [log in to unmask]
Land phone: 212.788.8615