From:
Tim Shinkle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Sep 2007 13:55:13 -0400
Hi Pilar,

I recommend if you don't need 5015.2, which as a commercial organization you
probably do not, then don't use it.  However, the data elements can be found
in links on the 5015.2 page (http://jitc.fhu.disa.mil/recmgt/standards.html)
and a data model can be extrapolated fairly easily from the requirements.

fundamental intersection of ERM with document management are typically as
follows:

Business Process Requirements
- Determine what metadata needs to be captured with records.  Your legal
department should be able to help determine the minimum requirements of what
metadata needs to be captured with each record from a legal/regulatory
perspective.  This metadata should be incorporated into the document
management system, which may already be capturing most or all of what you
need.
- Determining what parts (e.g., email and attachments) make up the record
and at what point in the lifecycle the document and its parts are locked
down from further modification (this can be anywhere from creation to some
later point after some final or approved state)
- Determining how a document, when it is locked down as an official record,
gets categorized (i.e., associated to the appropriate record type/series and
retention rule)

Best practices include not having the business user make any decisions about
what is a record, when something is a record or how to capture and
categorize a record.  This can be accomplished through such things as
scripts, triggers, taxonomy development and web services.

Records Administration Requirements
- Role and security management
- Retention Schedule and file plan management
- Disposition management
- Hold management
- Reporting
- Audit trails
- Preservation processing
- Authentication services
- Paper management
- and more (see references below)

References (just a couple, there are many others if you do some searching):
http://www.archives.gov/records-mgmt/initiatives/erm-guidance.html
http://www.archives.gov/era/rms/rms-documents.html

Tim Shinkle
www.perpetuallogic.com