From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Sep 2007 16:18:51 -0400
On 9/8/07, Tim Shinkle <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi Pilar,
>
> I recommend if you don't need 5015.2, which as a commercial organization you
> probably do not, then don't use it.  However, the data elements can be found
> in links on the 5015.2 page (http://jitc.fhu.disa.mil/recmgt/standards.html)
> and a data model can be extrapolated fairly easily from the requirements.

while DOD 5015.2 does not apply to commercial organizations, it does
provide a good starting point for such organizations. Why spend an
inordinate amount of time establishing the functional requirements
needed for an ERMS when 5015.2 identifies many if not most of the
functional requirements.

Using 5015.2 allows an organization to quickly create a shortlist of
viable ERMS applications by asking the simple question of the vendor
"Are you DOD 5015.2 certified?" Granted it isn't perfect, but 5015.2
does save a lot of work. By asking that question you are then able to
compare products. What 5015.2 does not do and which many folks are
unaware is that it does not tell you how a product completes a
requirement. For example one of the requirements may be to create a
folder. Product X does that in 3 steps while Product Y may take 6
steps. So if you use 5015.2 as part of your requirements be sure to
read the standard and then see how the products comply with it.

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va