From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 07:53:24 -0700
> Anyway, my question to you all is what part if any does the requester of a
> record have in the chain of custody given that the requester might not
> actually be someone who physically handles the record (or tape in this
> instance).
>
> By requester I mean the person who requests that a record be moved, either
> internally or to or from a third party.

Records in storage are strictly controlled by use of an authorized requester
listing. Each segment of the organization who transfers records/media into
inventory has a pre-approved access list, which indicates a limited number
of individuals who can access or request changes to any assets in
inventory,  In our case, this list is reviewed twice annually to
validate/verify the individuals are still employed in that part of the
organization, and are still authorized to  have access.

If others request information on records/media in storage, we don't even
provide information as to whether there ARE any assets in storage.  Instead,
we either take their name and forward it on to the authorized party, or we
contact the authorized party directly.  If the authorized party grants
approval for the requester to have access to the records/media, we must
receive a written authorization and/or an e-mail prior to granting access.

Is it necessary to have the requester recorded in the chain of custody for
> it to be complete?

ALL ITEMS IN STORAGE must be signed for prior to release. The records/media
do not belong to the records management staff, they belong to the parties
who put them into the inventory to begin with.  They can remove them from
storage at any time, but the transaction is recorded and when they return,
that is recorded as well.  Even after the records have met their retention
and been approved for destruction, the transaction records are retained for
a period of time (along with the approval for destruction notice).

If you send a tape off-site or off-site do you expect a record of who or
> what made that request?

ABSOLUTELY.  In most cases, their is a single point of contact (with a
backup) for all off site storage.   The records management staff is the only
party able to request items stored to be released and in almost all cases,
they come back through records management.

Should a driver be able to leave with any tapes where he can not show who or
> what requested that tape be removed?

If you mean leave the off site facility, no.  All requests should be from
the owning organization who put them into storage and the off site provider
should have verified the request was received from an authorized party,
identified in their contract with the client.

This is more than just a "chain of custody" issue, it's basic inventory
management and should be part and parcel with customer/client service level
agreement terms and conditions.  While a service provider has a contract
with the "XYZ Company", if they are responsible for the assets placed in
their care, it should be incumbent upon them to ensure whoever requests an
item is authorized to do so.  They should know a contract number, or client
number, an asset identifier (box or media inventory number), and be able to
identify themselves as an employee of the client's firm.  Additionally, a
request should have been received from the client's authorized contact for
release of assets PRIOR to them being released, and a signature should be
obtained from the party receiving them.

Larry
--
Larry Medina