From:
Rick Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:13:00 -0400
Dear Hugh et al.,

I caution all to be careful and not use the term "chain of custody" too
loosely.  Chain of custody is requires the documentation of every transfer
of evidence from person to person with demonstrable proof that nobody else
could have accessed that evidence.  This is necessary for forensic proofs in
the criminal law context.

Poor controls around the movement of tape media could arise in the context
of a white collar or corporate criminal investigation.  However, a criminal
chain of custody involving evidence is fundamentally different from the need
for organizations to have a discrete and auditable process in place for the
movement of tape media in the ordinary course. These are internal controls
that should be developed, approved at the highest levels as a organizational
standard, made part of new hire and ongoing training for relevant personnel,
and then be subject to periodic audit and monitoring.  A good process,
whether for IT compliance purposes or legal chain of custody of evidence,
should have the materials touching as few hands as possible.  It is not
necessary, however, to treat all information as evidence (unless, of course,
your organization is subject to a deferred prosecution or otherwise exposed
to criminal or regulatory inquiry).

Looking forward to seeing everyone next month.

Best regards,

Rick Wolf

347 Mt. Pleasant Avenue

Suite 204