From:
Bruce White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2007 12:54:03 -0500
On 10/16/07, Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> There is quite a range of cost of living in SoCal... especially if you're considering
> SoCal to be San Diego north to Santa Clarita and the Coast east to the Nevada
> border.
Larry makes a good point.  Prices for housing decrease the farther
inland you move to.  Expect to pay at least $100K more for a house in
San Diego or Orange County vs the Inland Empire (Riverside/San
Bernardino.)  On top of that you'll see differences in fuel, food and
utility costs.

Most cost of living calculators I've seen estimate you'll need an
additional 65% and 80% increase in income moving from the Mid-West to
SoCal.   The challenge is getting the increase in salary.  Not to say
you can't get it if an employer really wants you.  Having just moved
from San Diego, though, what I saw in general is that salaries do not
match the local cost of living.  Natives refer to it as the Sunshine
Tax.

--
Bruce L. White, CRM, PMP
Houston, TX