From:
"Cunningham, Ray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2007 13:39:28 -0500
We have found cracks in our system of vendor pick up shredding, not with
the vendor but with our employees.

We had recycling containers until I removed them because a careful study
of what was being put into the containers showed it was safer just to
shred it all. We train annually but I still go through the trash and I
find from time to time carelessly tossed copies of things. We send out
reminders when we find confidential papers in the trash to everyone. I
keep the trash cans away from the copiers and keep the shred bins close
to copiers and critical areas. If you have recycling bins watch them
carefully.

We locked down the containers because it makes more sense to have the
vendor pick it up than to have the janitorial staff handle the
confidential waste. Having the lower paid employees handle confidential
documents - particularly credit card info - is probably going to bite
you at some point. I know POS systems are made for unskilled employees
but skimming abounds.

Situations will vary and I would take a good look at what you need to
protect. We provide cross-cut shredders (Level 3) in critical local
areas for credit cards, CD DVD, and paper use. Users find those handy.

Raymond K. Cunningham, Jr. CRM, CA, CIPP
Manager of Records Services
University of Illinois Foundation
Harker Hall, MC-386
1305 West Green Street