From:
"Gerard J. Nicol" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2007 19:11:29 -0800
All,

Some of us in the Data Protection Industry have been discussing the topic of
what to do when you as a vendor win business from a competitor and find that
the competitor has lost some of your client's tapes and/or delivered tapes
belonging to another client in error.

As I understand it this not only occasionally occurs with tape but with
paper documents as well.

So I was interested in your opinions as records managers on the following
questions:

(1)     What should the new vendor do if they believe that the old vendor
has lost their clients records?

(2)     What should the new vendor do if they find records belonging to a
3rd party in a delivery for their new client?

(3)     What should be done to ensure the chain of custody reflects the
errors described in (1) and (2)?

Gerard Nicol

TapeTrack Pty Ltd