From:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Nov 2007 07:14:09 -0800
--- Norman Owens <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I am still a bit surprised that more companies haven't prohibited
> employees
> from putting current employment information on the internet in such a
> publically identifiable manner as LinkedIn.com.

I think that can happen with any sort of networking exchange. The same
sort of thing can happen member to member with the ARMA International
member search feature. It can happen (to a lesser degree) with Monster
or other job boards -- heck, AIIM has a feature that lets people post
resumes.

So yes, there is some risk, and I would expect that people in
particularly sensitive positions may be less likely to post their
information. And as long as my new boss has his information out there
(and he is one of those "500+" people on LinkedIn) in the clear, I will
probably keep mine there.

I've been on LinkedIn for some time and have had a few recruiters
contact me from time to time, but have not had any particular concerns.
It has been an interesting way to keep up with folks that I used to
work with and see where they have ended up.

In today's job market, having networks is not a bad thing. I think most
employers understand that. After all, they use these same tools to
recruit new employees. The days of one employer for life are long gone
and most companies are taking an approach that seems to indicate that
they hire people to meet specific needs and then flex that workforce as
the needs of the business change. This, unfortunately means a lot less
loyalty on both sides of the paycheck, but it does help companies meet
the variability in the marketplace.

And unless someone is in a security-sensitive position, there is really
very little that an employer can do. You are generally not disclosing
proprietary information. The lines typically get drawn with blogs and
other postings to the Internet. My employer is, and most other
employers are, sensitive about that sort of thing, which is certainly
understandable and why I seldom write or speak about specific business
practices in my current job. And, as others have noted, it is why I
write from my personal email address. Unless I sign something with my
current job title or ARMA Board position, I am speaking for myself.

Patrick Cunningham, CRM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."