From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2007 23:12:12 -0500
This sounds like one of the ethics questions posed by Brother
Malachai in Central Catholic High School.

"The neighborhood paperboy, while delivering my daily newspaper,
drops photos of a scantily clad neighbor on my lawn as he makes my
daily delivery. What should I do?"

a) Call the paperboy back and tell him I have his photos
b) Deliver them back to the neighbor and let them know where they
came from.
c) Open my own web site and become wealthy.  Oh wait I went to high
school in the 60's.

If a vendor is delivering a client's confidential tapes (and they all
are) of great value with shoddy practice, then the owner of those
tapes should know that their confidence is being compromised.

In one major city, a large data processing house experienced
repetitive situations where their work in progress was being taken
offsite but then sent to their client, not back to them.  This
created great inventory discrepancies.  Luckily the clients alerted
them to the situation of the vendor delivering the tapes to the wrong
destination. They delivered to the name on the carton not the name on
the delivery bill.

If everybody had kept quiet about it, large tapes losses would have
occurred.  The client thinking they were tapes ready for re-encoding
would write over them, thus making them disappear from the face of
the earth. (Lost to re-use never the less.)

The processing company not being aware of what happened would have
assumed lost tapes and been thrown into a panic and a huge restore.

Only by alerting all parties to what was going on did the problem
reconcile itself.  In this case, by switching vendors to someone who
knew how to track tapes and schedule deliveries.

The courts and the Congress are putting ever more pressure on keeping
records confidential. Chain of Custody, Security, Integrity all being
legislated by Rule 26, ESI, SOX and ID Theft laws with more to come.

We are, our brothers' keeper.   Brother Malachai, wherever you are,
you were a great teacher.  May the Lord Bless you and keep you all
the days of your life.

P.S. If only Beowulf had come out as a movie while I was in High School.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM