From:
Gerard Nicol <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2007 22:41:35 -0500
John,

"Hostage fees" are not a part of the data protection landscape.

From time to time I come across companies who store their tapes in
cardboard boxes (as many as they can fit in and still sort of get the lid
on) which are then stored like documents, or at best as climate controlled
documents. Perhaps these tapes might have a perm out fee but those people
get what they deserve.

Up until recent times the only cost of moving vendors was to pay out the
minimum invoice charge for the period of the contract. But the times are a
changin and now some vendors are charging a pay out fee of the average
monthly invoice (rather than the minimum invoice).

Either way, most data protection contracts I have seen have an end date so
at the end of the contract you can change vendors at little to no cost.

At the end of the day competition drives inovation and if you stay with
sub par vendors you are simply hurting yourself and the industry as a
whole.

Gerard

On Thu, 15 No