From:
"Nemchek, Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2007 09:45:30 -0800
To put this discussion in perspective, note that Thomson West is a legal
publisher, one of only a handful of major conglomerates servicing the
research/reference needs of lawyers in this country.  Thomson West
publishes law books -- for lawyers, written by lawyers -- and part of
the value of these books lies in the name recognition of their lawyer
authors.  In general, lawyers buy books written by legal experts, not by
non-lawyer subject matter experts.  In the area of records management,
we've made a lot of headway in marketing books written by subject matter
experts because lawyers hadn't written anything on the subject.  The
area of electronic discovery is different, because there are already so
many legal treatises written by leading lawyers on this subject.  It's
not likely that a new book on electronic discovery written by a records
manager would get much attention in the legal market.  Just my two
cents, as someone who spent the past 25 years buying books for lawyers!

--Lee

Lee R. Nemchek, MLS, CRM
VP, Records Management
Oaktree Capital Management, L.P.