From:
Rick Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2007 11:01:37 -0500
Dear Friends,

Jessie might have been referring to me (i.e. the "lone wolf"), as I am
someone who does assist with developing project plans and serving as a
second set of eyes and ears in the RFP exercise (the "conscience of the
process").  I am not necessary staffed for or interested in full
implementation of a RIM, but do believe someone with battle tested
experience should be involved in the early stages of program development or
remediation.  At my former company, implemented a global RIM with minimal
resources (two full time staff members and limited outside help for a
company with 80,000 employees worldwide), because we planned and budgeted
wisely, and effectively co-opted the involvement of others in the
organization for execution.

In my view, there is no one-size-fits-all template for a professional
services RFP.  If you decide to use a template certain attributes should be
included in your RFP when undertaking a project of this importance.  These
are the basic steps I would take in phase one.  I am happy to confer with
others on the wisdom or even shortcomings of any of my approach, on or
offline.

1.  Identify an advisor or consultant to assist with conducting a high-level
gaps analysis on a fix-rate basis. The fixed rate is important because you
need predictability of cost at the outset before getting approval to
undertake a more broad, global project.  There is, admittedly, somewhat of a
"what comes first, the chicken or the egg" dilemma, but you need to define
your scope and needs up front. A good gaps analysis should include a review
of documents, processes, policies and procedures, and governance relative to
records management compliance on the paper and electronic side of the
equation.

2.  A gaps analysis would produce a project definition document ("PDD") that
includes, among other things, (i) RFP template based on gaps/findings, (ii)
proposed budget and financial model, (iii) analysis of reasonable
alternatives (e.g., buy versus build), (iv) resource allocation, and (v)
presentation with executive summary for management consideration and
ultimate approval. With budget approval and a PDD in hand, you will be in a
position to tailor your RFP to your specific need and efficiently entertain
bids for work in this area.

3.  The gaps analysis and PDD phase of a moderate to complex sized project
should take no more than 2 to 4 weeks to complete, based on availability of
company personnel (for limited interviews and kick off meetings) and
documentation for due diligence.

4.  When going through the RFP exercise, vendors should be subject to an
agreed statement of work, and compensated based on achievement of milestones
defined at the outset of the project.  The statement of work also should be
subject to a detailed project plan, with change management protocols
incorporated to avoid "project creep" and performance outside budget.

5.  Following this approach will not guarantee success, but will go a long
way toward producing measurable results that are on time and in budget.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Best regards,

Rick Wolf

LEXAKOS_LOGO_160pxRGB