From:
"Gerard J. Nicol" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2007 09:23:01 +1100
Rick,

You are completely correct.

It amazes me to hear people say things like "it is too painful to leave my
vendor no matter how hopeless he is". Consumers have all of the power here
but elect not to exercise that power.

In relation to liability, the argument of the industry is that there cannot
be contractual liability without first quantifying the value of the data.
This never really gets anywhere because the customer has no idea what the
data is worth so the vendor can get a quote on insurance.

Personally I don't think it should be about liability anyway. In data
protection the last thing you want is the cover-ups and never ending
blame-games that would result.

I have been through many facilities over the years, and met many hundreds of
business owners and I can tell you that it is pretty easy to pick the "men
from the boys". Caveat emptor should always be the primary focus when
choosing a vendor.

By all means people should be negotiating hard to get favourable contracts,
but unless you have the resources and will to enforce these agreements they
are pretty impotent.

I think the market is quite capable of sorting itself out. If people are to
get better outcomes they need to actively sponsor competition and reward
innovation, and forget about forcing dud vendors to become something they
are not and will never be.

Gerard