From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2007 09:10:33 -0800

> We have a vault that was built quite some time ago.  Currently, I am
> helping internal customers put together disaster prevention plans.
> Placing "stuff" in the vault is an option. However, I am not sure of the
> integrity of the vault given its age.  Are there vault integrity audit
> services? (or something like that?!)

Hi Chuck-

The word "vault" is used to describe many things, and unfortunately, until
you define it for YOUR circumstances and use, it's tough to give you much
guidance on where to seek an evaluation.

In many instances, the prior usage of the enclosure/space helps to decide
whether it was a vault designed primarily for security purposes, to protect
the contents from theft and unauthorized access or for "protection", as a
much broader term of the contents.

You may want to start with NFPA 232 as a guide for what a vault designed for
the Protection of Records is and isn't.  It gives you some of the
construction considerations, such as dimensions, volume, what can and can't
be inside of it, types of lighting, ratings of the walls, and door, etc.
You also should think about the intended contents- will it be mixed media
(paper and electronic), or electronic media only.  This has a major impact
on what you want for fire protection- whether you want to go exclusively
with a non-aqueous fire suppressant in side and/or a sprinkler system.  That
will also help decide the types of shelving and enclosures you want inside
your vault.

If CVPS has structural engineers, (or better yet, a Fire Protection
Engineer)  have them take a look at the vault, ascertain the rating of the
walls, ensure the door is rated as high as the walls, check the penetrations
for services/utilities and see if they're sealed appropriately, check the
rating on the sprinkler or suppressant system, and verify you have working
floor drains IF you have sprinklers.   You should also have battery powered
emergency lighting, and depending on the type of suppressant and size of the
vault, you may have an OSHA requirement for SCBA equipment.

There should be no combustible materials in the room (wooden desks, chairs,
wood sub flooring, carpets, etc) and if there is any computer equipment or
other electrical devices,  the outlets should be properly rated and nothing
should be left on when the vault is unoccupied. You may also want to take a
look at NFPA 75 for other guidance about computer equipment and media for
this situation, which outlines the need for one-hour fire protection
separating these from other items.

I'm sure others will weigh in with some suggestions for you.

Larry

--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA